Background research is necessary so that you know how to design and understand your experiment.
Start your research by:
1. Identifying the key words in the question for your science fair project.
2. You should also plan to do research on the history of similar experiments or inventions.
Where do I find the information for my research paper?
All of your research can be done online or using books and the internet.
Paper based research means that the information that you are using was at one time in a book, magazine, article, encyclopeia, or other "paper" format. There are databases online (like Noblenet) that allow you to get access to paper sources online
Internet/Web based research means getting information from websites.
Reliable websites have an author and end in .edu, .org, and .gov.
Do I have to write a research paper?
You will be writing an Annotated Bibliography which is a special kind of research paper with all of the research you do.
Make sure to fill out your Science Fair Sources Graphic Organizers to make the whole process of reseach and paper writing as smooth as possible.
Science Fair Sources: Graphic Organizers
There are 4 types of Graphic Orgainzers: Book, Encyclopedia, Website, and Articles. You do not have to use them all. You may find that you can find most of your information in Books and Websites and not need the Encyclopedia one.
Each class is assigned a number of sources they need to complete for their research paper. You can get more Graphic Oragnizers from Ms A or you can print our your own.
Research Source : Article
1. Type in or click on www.noblenet.org in the address bar
2. Click Reference Databases
3. Click EBSCO Host Research Databases
4. Enter barcode # 26661000604248
5. Choose your data bases
~Middle Search Plus
6. Click Continue and enter your search topic (key words or ideas from your topic)
7. Limit your results to Full Text Articles
Research Source : Encyclopedia
Reference information you can trust Encyclopedia.com has more than 100 trusted sources, including encyclopedias, dictionaries, and thesauruses with facts, definitions, biographies, synonyms, pronunciation keys, word origins, and abbreviations.
1. Type in or click on http://www.encyclopedia.com/
2. Enter your search topic (key words or ideas from your topic) and click "search"
3. Choose a Topic from the list of links
4. Choose the source for your information from the Yellow tabs above the inforamtion box
5. Find 6 facts from 1 source
6. Scroll to the bottom for the citation
The type of research paper you will write for Science Fair is called an
An annotated bibliography is a list of the books and sources on a specific subject that gives a summary of the research that has been done.
Review the Powerpoint Below ~on~
How to Write an Annotated Bibliography?